What does it mean by being someone’s “tutor”?
First, know the definition:
A tutor is a teacher who gives additional, special or remedial instructions and often privately.
Professionalism is about exhibiting professional character, behaviour and spirit.
To make it simple, here’s a list of how a tutor can exhibit professionalism (the points are not in any particular order, all are important!):
- Be punctual for all lessons and be well-prepared. (This very much applies to all professions and jobs..)
- Be reasonably well-dressed in appropriate attire. Ask the guardian/ parent if they are comfortable if you really, really need to.
- Be responsible and accountable. (Make sure you exchange contacts with guardian/parent and inform in advance of any unforeseen events if required)
- Always put yourself in the tutee’s/guardian’s/parent’s shoes and try your best to accomodate if necessary.
- Make sure you are available to help if necessary. Extend your help and you’ll be appreciated, especially in exam crunch time. Its all about imparting your knowledge, right?
- Remember to make lessons enriching, interesting and fun as much as possible!
- Communicate, communicate and communicate! Improve on your delivery of speech!!
- Discuss lesson curriculum planning with tutee. Keep the guardian/parents updated, always.
- In scoring As, its “No goals, no glory” not “No guts, no glory”. Hold goal setting sessions with your tutee! Set reasonable, attainable goals and paste it on the wall in front of the study desk!
- Analyse and know your tutee’s learning style and adapt your teaching style to suit it. Read our Tutoring Guide Series on more about this.
- Last but not least, know the above 10 points and you are on your way to master tutoring professionalism! =)
A point to note is that tutors could act as mentors too. Advice based on personal experience for example, on studying methods sharing and exam preparation techniques like mind mapping or memory-tagging system can certainly show how much you can make a difference in your tutee’s lives.
Make the extra mile to make lessons more fun, more enriching and more impactful to your tutee today!
Share the same traits as what is described above? You might want to know more about tutoring via ConsultAtutor.com!